1835-1846, 1969 to present day
Membership is open to all interested adult
males at least 16 years of age. The original Texas Army was made up of male
volunteers. Although women and children played a vital role in the settlement
1. Applicant must become knowledgeable in the clothing, weapons, and life skills of the period (1835-1845). Applicant must wear appropriate clothing and his weapons must be appropriate for the period (1835-1845 w/no plastic hardware) and in good working order, safety is of the highest importance. Before each event an inspection will be made.
2. Applicant must attend at least 3 events for evaluation, before progressing to a minimum of 5 events, which are necessary for advancement from Enlisted to Officer.
3. Advancement-Marksmanship Qualification. Applicant for Officer must be proficient with his black powder rifle or musket. Beside safety awareness and practice, an applicant must show his ability to use his muzzle loading weapon, as our forefathers did, by shooting 5 balls in succession onto a paper plate target at 50 yards, standing and unsupported. At least two Colonels of the Texas Army must witness the Qualification.
4. Upon successful completion of the above requirements, Applicant will present a petition (in essay form) giving reasons why he desires to join the Texas Army. Knowledge of Texas History is a must. Also included with the essay should be a $100.00 donation to the Texas Army "War Chest" for Texas Army events.
5. Fill out the application below and either mail or e-mail Col. John Martin (see address below). After the application is received and approved, you will receive call-outs (notice of Texas Army events), newsletters and other important Texas Army information.
City: _____________________________ State: ____________ ZIP Code: __________ (see back)
Telephone: Home _____________________ Cell ___________________
Driver's License No. (Which State): __________________________ Date of Birth____________
Wife's name: (optional) __________________________________________
Desired Texas Army sponsor _______________________________________
What Black Powder Experience or craft do you have? __________________________________
Are you a member of any Fraternal Organizations?___________________________________________________________________
Complete the above form and send by U.S.P.S mail (or scan & e-mail) to Colonel John Martin, Registrar at 683 Overbluff, Channelview, TX 77530 (email@example.com). Applicants will need to be sponsored by a Texas Army Officer. If you would like to start learning about what gear, weapons, skills and crafts you can use, check out our Living History Pages at: www.earlytexashistory.com/TexasArmy, or www.texasarmy.org. For period sewing patterns, see Dixie Gun Works’ online catalog.
Revised- 21 Jan, 2011